NOT SOLD (BIDDING OVER)
0.00USD+ premiums, taxes, fees & shipping
WAS NOT SOLD, auction date was 2013 Aug 24 @ 09:00UTC-7 : PDT/MST
1850-In 2005, a major discovery was made in San Francisco of a Gold Rush era ship that had lain buried for a century and a half.
A construction project for the Infinity Tower condominiums on the edge of San Francisco bay near the Giants ballpark
unearthed this ship, which is thought to be the first of virtually hundreds of “sunken” and abandoned Gold Rush ships.
National news stories touted the discovery as “historic”, and thousands of artifacts were recovered in addition to the hull
Owned by the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society since its discovery, this massive hull is looking for a new home
where it can be used in an educational display about the Gold Rush. It is the ONLY SURVIVING GOLD RUSH SHIP Remains
The Barque Candace.
Between 1848 and 1851, thousands of vessels sailed into the San Francisco Bay carrying many men (and women) inspired by the Gold Rush to seek their fortunes in California. After landing, many ships were abandoned in Yerba Buena Cove when their usefulness ended with the disembarking of immigrants and prospectors. These "Gold Ships" clogged the harbor and remained at anchor until they were sold, scrapped, sunk or repurposed.
The SS Candace was one of the last of the derelict fleet to be cleared from the harbor. In 1857, it was dismantled on what was then the beach by Rincon Point. Her remains were later covered by sand and bay-mud and left to the elements. During the 1860`s, a seawall was built along what is now the Embarcadero, and the cove was filled and built upon in an effort to expand the city limits. Interred under 20 feet of land-fill, the Candace was long-forgotten as she joined the ranks of another famous fleet: San Francisco`s buried ships.
There were two ships on the Pacific Ocean at the same time during the early years of the Gold Rush with the same name, and of the same approximate size. One was built in Boston in 1818 and was a whaler, the other built in Rhode Island in 1847 and was a merchant ship (barque) known for voyages to China for tea. Both ships were about 100-117 feet long and about 25 feet wide. A San Francisco historian felt the Boston constructed Candace was the best fit to the historical record, primarily based upon the discovery of whale teeth in the hull, a reasonable conclusion.
The Candace was built at Hart`s Shipyard in Boston in 1818 with a registered tonnage of 309. She was named after the daughter of one of the ship`s owners, Candace Crawford Dorr, and was a well-built, three-masted sailing ship of the boxy "apple-cheek" style common in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. After her long and successful career at sea as a cargo ship, the Candace later entered the whaling trade in the South Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. Her career ended after a two-year whaling trip to the Arctic. Leaking and badly damaged by pack ice, she limped into the port of San Francisco in 1855. She never sailed again.
The Museum of Underwater Archaeology published a story on the Candace discovery on the pages discussing the “300 Spear Street Project”. They wrote, in part: “On the 1853-1855 voyage to the Arctic, the Candace shipped home 8,000 pounds of whale bone and "500 whale" but did not return to New London. The vessel put in to San Francisco on July 4, 1855. The Boston Shipping List of August 18, 1855 reported that the barque, "badly leaking", had been "condemned after being surveyed." Sold at auction, the hulk was apparently bought by Charles Hare. Presumably he could not repair the ship, but instead broke the Candace up in February 1857.”
Between 1852 and 1857, the area around 300 Spear Street in San Francisco’s waterfront area, was part of Charles Hare`s ship-breaking yard. By the 1870`s, expansion and land-fill was complete, moving the shore-line to its present location. From the time of the Gold Rush, the area around the site was densely settled and, by the early 20th century, private residences had been built along Main S HKA#65098